Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Accident and the surgery:


This is Andrea writing for Marisa! She wants for you guys to feel involved in this whole process of recovery, as well as have a way for her to remember what is going on, who has visited, and how far she has come! So here we go!

(This is the way, I, Marisa remember it, not necessarily what everyone remembers or what is in all of the reports and articles). On Monday the 9th of August we were on our way to Mammoth for XC Camp, when the van I was in was suddenly hit by a SUV. Basically I just saw a flash of light coming at us, and before I knew it there were flames everywhere and I was in a lot of pain. Coaches were trying to pull people out of our van.  I asked Coach to get me out and he couldn’t because my leg was stuck, the leg that is broken. I didn’t know what was going on around me other than that firefighters were working to get me out and no one in my van responded when I tried to talk to them, other than the coaches that were talking to me.  I didn’t know if people were alive or unconscious, because no one was responding, and I was in so much pain myself that everything was fuzzy. I can’t remember if I turned around and looked, or what I said to them…basically not all of the pieces of the puzzle are there in my mind. I tried to talk to my roommate Rebecca who was laying against me, and she wasn’t responding. Our driver was in front of me and she didn’t sound good at all, but I was so out of it I had no idea if either one was okay or not. The whole time I was just in a lot of pain and I was praying that I would be able to get out of the van soon.
 I was in the ambulance with Rebecca on the way to Bishop and I don’t remember anything in there except that there was a firefighter holding my hand and comforting me. Then I was taken to Mammoth and there was a paramedic in the ambulance who was also holding my hand and comforting me for the long ride there. The paramedic was there for me when they had to straighten my broken leg out for the first time. I was really scared because I was alone but people came to visit me before my mom was able to get there. I can’t remember their names, but they were from the Mammoth camp and they were praying with me and holding my hand for a while. One of my teammates dad’s came and held my hand and prayed with me before I was moved to another room.  Once I was moved, my mom and Kurt and Wendy Thielen got there soon after. I had amazing nurses, who loved on me and cared for me while I was scared and in a lot of pain. I couldn’t eat because I was scheduled to have surgery in Mammoth on Tuesday at nine am. Then our insurance provider ordered a plane and had us moved to Riverside.
My mom came with me on the plane and it was very uncomfortable because there was a brace holding my leg together and it was underneath my hip and my tailbone and it was very hard. The ambulance ride from the Riverside airport to the hospital was so bumpy and painful. Then we got to the hospital, and soon the Snyders got there and stayed with me a bit during the x-rays and things like that. Val and I got closer because she had to stay with me through some very difficult situations. God blessed me with having friends there as soon as I got there and also the dean of admissions from CBU came along with her husband (Gail and Roy) and they were so loving and caring right off the bat. Both families helped ease a lot of stress for me and my parents. I still hadn’t had anything to eat and I was more than ready for surgery!  Prep for surgery was difficult, and finally I had surgery in the late evening on Tuesday.  Wendy, Kurt, and my Daddy showed up right before the surgery which was perfect timing! After surgery, everything has been pretty much a blur except for seeing one of Andrea’s close friends Trevor.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for blogging, Marisa. We've been praying for you and your teammates. May God's comfort and healing power work mightily in your life.

    Jason and Cathy Willoughby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! Thanks for sharing your story. So glad there have been people to comfort you every step of the way. Continuing to pray for you and think about you.
    Love,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Risa. Praying that your healing and recovering continues smoothly. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

    Tyler Breier

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for you, Marisa.
    You have sure been through a lot, but it's wonderful that God is with you and sends plenty of people to comfort you and help you recover.
    Thank you to Andrea for helping you write your blog; we are eager to hear updates, and you'll be glad to have this record of your journey.
    I saw Morgan at church this morning and he's working on a way to get down there! Work hard in rehab; it's not fun but it's worth it.
    Love to your Mom and Dad, too.
    Love, Deb Davis

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank god your ok!!! oh wow risa! i had no idea >.< i hope your feeling better and ill b praying constantly for you!!! love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marisa,
    We are so glad that you are healing. Thanks for blogging so we can keep up with what is going on. This has sure been a difficult time and your family has been a great example of how to handle adversity. I believe that God never wanted this for you, but He will bless you as you go through it and you will come out stronger and wiser.
    Rachel Hendrie

    ReplyDelete